The Green Party is growing fast. We now represent people in Westminster and in a record number of local councils, as well as in the London Assembly.
Here in Reading, following the council elections in 2021, we have five Councillors.
We're working progressively on local issues; to improve the lives of all people in Reading, and to improve our local environment. As part of the Green Party of England & Wales, we share a deep concern for social and environmental justice, expressed through our national policies, we believe fair is worth fighting for.
We rely on people power rather than corporate finance in all that we do. Get involved with us today so that we can achieve so much more for Reading.
– Stopped Reading Labour from firing and rehiring council staff
– Worked with the community for a public swimming pool for East Reading
– Lobbied to defeat Reading Labour's plan to build a road by the Thames
– Campaigned against cuts to library services
– Got the council to introduce a council tax exemption for care leavers
– Introduced motion for a fair workload charter for teachers
– Pressured council to commit to UNISON's Ethical Care Charter for fair pay for carers
– Pushed for investment in a solar panel scheme
– Successfully worked for a living wage for council employees and people on council contracts
– Worked with residents to get the council to introduce Play Streets
– Campaigned for the council to sign the Nottingham declaration on climate change
The Green Party Political Programme sets out what Greens are in politics to do: to end the system that keeps hurting the environment and all of us who rely on it - and to build a better alternative.
This Programme isn't like other parties' manifestos, it has not been squeezed through focus groups and stripped down according to the latest polling. Instead it has been built from policies proposed and voted on by our members, looking to secure the long term future of the places and people they love.
It's a vision of a better world, and together we can deliver it.