Greens work tirelessly, all year round, alongside our local communities. Together we have achieved much, but there is still plenty to do. We want to make our vision for a fairer, healthier and more affordable area a reality. Get involved and make a difference.
1. CLIMATE ACTION AND GREEN SPACE: Doubling Reading’s tree cover, zero carbon and protecting our wildlife will improve our green spaces and environment.
2. TACKLING POVERTY: Our campaign means the council is now an Accredited Living Wage Employer. All organisations should pay at least a Living Wage.
3. OUR COMMUNITY: More support for residents organising community initiatives like the Big Lunch and Play Streets in their roads will bring neighbourhoods together after Covid.
4. CLEANING UP READING: We will push for kerbside glass collection and support reuse groups to promote better waste management.
5. LOCAL TRANSPORT: Boosting walking and cycling with 20mph zones and car-free school streets will cut congestion and air pollution. Solutions like a Clean Air Zone will protect our green spaces from unworkable road-building schemes.
6. PROTECTING PUBLIC SERVICES: The leader of the council shouldn’t be getting a huge pay rise when public services are being cut. Libraries, swimming pools, arts venues and children’s play areas are vital to residents’ physical and mental health.
7. AFFORDABLE HOUSING: More council housing, funding for tackling rough sleeping, licensing all landlords and a mass insulation scheme will mean a safe, warm home for all.
8. GREAT SCHOOLS: Putting local authorities back in control of school place planning and ending the ‘free school’ experiment will start to provide great local schools for all children. We’ll fight mandatory changes to academies and budget cuts.
9. BETTER CARE: Improved terms for carers will improve care. We’re working with UNISON to support their Ethical Care Charter, which would see carers getting at least a Living Wage and an end to zero hour contracts and rushed 15-minute care visits.
10. LOCAL BUSINESSES: Investment in local shopping areas will encourage variety in our local shops and support locally sourced, affordable food.
11. READING’S CULTURE: Support for local artists and our Conservation Areas will strengthen our culture and protect our heritage for future generations.
12. HEALTH: A great local track-and-trace system and increased support for mental health wellbeing across the borough will support public health.
As Government policies are adversely affecting more and more of us, there has never been a better time to get involved with the work of the Green Party.
Any help you can give us, from delivering newsletters to making a donation, will make a real difference to getting more Greens elected in your area, so together we can fulfil our Green vision for a healthier, fairer, and affordable future for everyone.