Greens work tirelessly, all year round, alongside our local communities. Together we have achieved much, but there is still plenty to do. We want to make our vision for a fairer, healthier and more affordable area a reality. Get involved and make a difference.
1. PUBLIC SERVICES: We will stand up for public services and oppose cruel austerity. Libraries, swimming pools, arts venues and children’s play areas are vital to the health of the town. We will support these public services. We will continue to oppose the wasting of public funds on external consultants and agency staff. This will create a stronger, more stable council with better organisational knowledge and expertise for Reading.
2. TRANSPORT: We want to cut congestion and air pollution. We will create a safer and more pleasant environment for everyone by boosting walking and cycling through the introduction of 20mph zones where people live and work. We will protect green space from crass, ill-thought-out development, by promoting solutions that will work for Reading – including a Clean Air Zone.
3. HOUSING: We want everyone to have a decent, affordable and well-insulated home. We will achieve this through more council housing, licensing all landlords and a mass insulation scheme.
4. POVERTY: Our campaign has resulted in Reading Council becoming an Accredited Living Wage employer. We will continue working for all organisations to pay at least a Living Wage.
5. SCHOOLS: We want to see local authorities back in control of school place planning and an end to the free-school experiment. We want a great local school for everyone - we will fight the mandatory change of schools into Academies and campaign against the national cuts to school budgets.
6. CARE: We will follow through on our work with UNISON’s Ethical Care Charter in Reading and ensure that carers get a Living Wage, that the misuse of zero-hour contracts is ended, and rushed 15-minute care visits are lengthened. Through improved terms for carers we will improve care.
7. ENVIRONMENT: Less waste, more reuse and better recycling: We want to reduce the amount of waste, fly tipping and litter and reduce the effect it has on our environment. We will push for proper disposal of food waste including energy reclaimed through anaerobic digestion, more support for reuse organisations and for kerbside glass collection for recycling. We will continue to encourage the council to take vital action on climate change and support local environmental and community campaign groups.
8. COMMUNITY: We will continue to support residents organising community initiatives in their roads. We will be supporting the Big Lunch and Play Streets projects - bringing neighbourhoods together to build community.
9. LOCAL BUSINESS: We will invest in local shopping areas, encourage variety in our local shops and support locally sourced, affordable food. Small and medium businesses are the backbone of a thriving economy.
10. CULTURE: We will assist in the promotion of a Greater Reading Artists Network (GRAN) to support culture and heritage. This will facilitate the cross-pollination of ideas and be a hub for finding out what is happening culturally in our town.
As Government policies are adversely affecting more and more of us, there has never been a better time to get involved with the work of the Green Party.
Any help you can give us, from delivering newsletters to making a donation, will make a real difference to getting more Greens elected in your area, so together we can fulfil our Green vision for a healthier, fairer, and affordable future for everyone.
Sign up for our monthly email newsletter